Technical Specifications of Massey Ferguson 240 Tractor
- Manufacturer: Massey Ferguson
- Type: Utility tractor
- Built in: Coventry, England
- Original Price: $18,800 in 1998
- Production Years: UK market – 1979, North American – 1983
- Engine Model: Perkins 2.5L 3-cyl diesel
- Engine Power: 46 hp (34.3 kW)
- Type: 8-speed sliding gear
- PTO (claimed): 41 hp (30.6 kW)
- Drawbar (tested): 28.69 hp (21.4 kW)
- PTO (tested): 34.77 hp (25.9 kW)
- Drive: Two- or four-wheel drive
- Steering: Hydrostatic power
- Brakes: Mechanical drum (early), Differential mechanical wet disc (late)
- Fuel: 12.6 gal (47.7 L)
- Hydraulic System: 8.6 gal (32.6 L)
- Type: Open
- Capacity: 8.6 gal (32.6 L)
- Valves: 2
- Pump Flow: 9.5 gpm (36.0 lpm)
- Rear Type: II/I
- Control: Position and draft control
Power Take-off (PTO)
- Rear PTO: Live (two-stage clutch)
- Rear RPM: 540
Dimensions & Tires
- 2WD Wheelbase: 76.1 inches (193 cm)
- 4WD Wheelbase: 77 inches (195 cm)
- Weight: 4015 to 4585 pounds
- Front Tire: 6.00-16
- Rear Tire: 13.6-28 (2WD)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the engine power of the Massey Ferguson 240?
The engine power is 46 hp (34.3 kW).
What type of transmission does it have?
It has an 8-speed sliding gear transmission.
Is it a two-wheel or four-wheel drive?
It comes in both two-wheel and four-wheel drive options.
What is the fuel capacity?
The fuel capacity is 12.6 gallons (47.7 L).
What is the hydraulic system capacity?
The hydraulic system capacity is 8.6 gallons (32.6 L).
How many hydraulic valves does it have?
It has 2 hydraulic valves.
What is the rear PTO type?
The rear PTO is live with a two-stage clutch.
What is the weight of the tractor?
The weight ranges from 4015 to 4585 pounds.
A Workhorse from Massey Ferguson
The Massey Ferguson 240 is a utility tractor manufactured by Massey Ferguson in Coventry, England. It was initially introduced to the UK market in 1979 and later to the North American market in 1983.
The tractor is powered by a Perkins 2.5L 3-cylinder diesel engine that delivers 46 hp. It features an 8-speed sliding gear transmission and offers both two-wheel and four-wheel drive options.
With a strong engine delivering 46 hp and a tested drawbar power of 28.69 hp, the Massey Ferguson 240 is a reliable performer. Its 8-speed transmission ensures smooth operation across different terrains.
The tractor comes with hydrostatic power steering for easy maneuverability and mechanical drum brakes for effective stopping. It also offers a two-post ROPS and an optional canopy for added safety.
The tractor is built with durability in mind, featuring a robust engine and sturdy mechanical components. The hydraulic system is also well-designed, with a capacity of 8.6 gallons.
Value for Money
With an original price of $18,800 in 1998, the tractor offers a good balance of features and performance, making it a cost-effective choice for various farming needs.
Pros and Cons
- Strong engine performance
- Versatile transmission
- Reliable hydraulic system
- Somewhat dated design
- Limited advanced features
Best Suited For
The Massey Ferguson 240 is best suited for medium-scale farming and can handle a variety of tasks, from plowing and harrowing to hauling and more.
The Massey Ferguson 240 is a reliable and versatile utility tractor that offers a good balance of features and performance. While it may lack some of the advanced features found in newer models, it makes up for it with its robust build and reliable performance. Overall, it’s a solid choice for anyone in need of a dependable tractor for various farming tasks.