When you’re driving down the road and see a trailer hitch ball that’s rusted on, it can be a frustrating experience. You might be thinking to yourself, “How do I get this ball off?” or “What do I do if my ball is already rusted off?” In this article, we’ll show you how to get that rusted trailer hitch ball off your vehicle in the easiest possible way.
What You’ll Need
To remove a rusted trailer hitch ball, you will need the following:
-A pair of pliers
-A 1/2 inch drill bit
-A socket wrench
-Copper wire (or a thick piece of wire)
-Towel or rag
Step One: Remove The Nut On The Ball With The Pliers
Remove the nut on the ball with the pliers. This is located on the bottom side of the ball. If it’s very rusted, you may need to use a wrench to do this.
Step Two: Drill A Hole In The Ball And Take Out The Nut With The Wrench
Drill a hole in the ball and take out the nut with the wrench. Make sure to use the correct size drill bit for your bolt. Drilling too big of a hole can cause damage to your vehicle.
Step Three: Remove The Bolt With The Socket Wrench
Remove the bolt with the socket wrench. Be careful not to damage your vehicle while doing this.
Step Four: Remove The Copper Wire From The Old Nut And Put It On New Nut
How to Remove a Rusted Trailer Hitch Ball
If you have a rusted trailer hitch ball, it’s time to get it off. Here’s how:
1. Locate the tow ball on the trailer and use a wrench to loosen the bolt.
2. Loosen the tow ball from the hitch receiver by rotating it counterclockwise.
3. If necessary, use a prying tool to remove the tow ball from the hitch receiver.
4. Remove any rust or debris from around the hitch ball using a wire brush or steel wool.
5. Wipe clean the outside of the hitch ball with a damp cloth.
6. Apply General Tire Repair’s Hitch Ball Remover to the inside of the hitch ball using a spray bottle or brush.
7. Apply pressure to the Hitch Ball Remover while turning the hitch ball counterclockwise with a wrench.
8. The hitch ball should come off easily after several turns.
Tips for Safe Removal
If your trailer hitch ball is rusty, there are a few things you can do to safely remove it.
1. Use a prying tool to break up the rust on the ball. This will make it easier to remove.
2. Use a wire brush to clean the ball and any surrounding metal. This will also help remove debris that could cause further damage.
3. Apply rust-inhibiting cream or oil to the ball and surrounding metal. This will help protect the ball from future rust and make removal easier.