Technical Specifications of John Deere 2640 Tractor
- Manufacturer: John Deere
- Type: Utility tractor
- Built in: Dubuque, Iowa, USA
- Model Year: 1976 – 1982
- Type: John Deere 4.5L 4-cyl diesel
- 8-speed collar shift
- 16-speed two-speed power shift
- 8-speed power shuttle
- PTO (claimed): 70 hp (52.2 kW)
- Drawbar (tested): 57.88 hp (43.2 kW)
- PTO (tested): 70.37 hp (52.5 kW)
- Drive: Two-wheel drive
- Final Drives: Planetary
- Differential Lock: Mechanical rear
- Steering: Mechanical with power assist
- Brakes: Differential hydraulic wet disc
- Operator Station: Open
- Fuel: 19.5 gal (73.8 L)
- Hydraulic System: 10 gal (37.9 L)
- Type: Closed center
- Capacity: 10 gal (37.9 L)
- Pressure: 2250 psi (155.1 bar)
- Pump Flow: 9 gpm (34.1 lpm) or 15 gpm (56.8 lpm)
- Rear Type: II/I
Power Take-off (PTO)
- Rear PTO: Independent
- Rear RPM: 540 or 540/1000
Dimensions & Tires
- Wheelbase: 85.75 inches (217 cm)
- Weight: 5800 lbs (2630 kg)
- Front Tire: 6.00-16
- Rear Tire: 16.9-28
What is the engine power of the John Deere 2640?
The PTO claimed engine power is 70 hp (52.2 kW).
What types of transmissions are available?
The tractor offers three types: 8-speed collar shift, 16-speed two-speed power shift, and 8-speed power shuttle.
What is the fuel capacity?
The fuel capacity is 19.5 gallons (73.8 L).
What is the hydraulic system capacity?
The hydraulic system capacity is 10 gallons (37.9 L).
What is the weight of the tractor?
The weight of the tractor is 5800 lbs (2630 kg).
Review of John Deere 2640 Tractor
A Versatile Utility Tractor from John Deere
The John Deere 2640 is a utility tractor that was built in Dubuque, Iowa, USA, between 1976 and 1982. It offers a range of transmission options and a robust engine.
The tractor is equipped with a 70 hp engine and offers three types of transmissions: 8-speed collar shift, 16-speed two-speed power shift, and 8-speed power shuttle. It weighs 5800 lbs and has a fuel capacity of 19.5 gallons.
The 2640 offers solid performance with its 70 hp engine and multiple transmission options. Its mechanical steering with power assist and differential hydraulic wet disc brakes ensure smooth handling and effective braking.
The tractor comes with an open operator station, mechanical rear differential lock, and two-wheel drive. It also has an independent rear PTO that operates at either 540 or 540/1000 RPM.
The tractor is known for its durability and versatility. It has a robust build and is generally easy to maintain.
Value for Money
Given its features and performance, the John Deere 2640 offers good value for money, especially for those in need of a versatile utility tractor.
Pros and Cons
- Pros: Versatile transmission options, high horsepower, durable build.
- Cons: Open operator station may not be comfortable for all, older model may lack some modern features.
Best Suited For
The tractor is best suited for medium-scale farming operations and can handle a variety of tasks. Its robust build makes it ideal for heavy-duty tasks.
The John Deere 2640 is a reliable and versatile utility tractor that offers a range of features designed for efficient and comfortable farming. Its versatility in transmission options and robust build make it a worthwhile investment for both practical use and collection.