Technical Specifications of John Deere 4640 Farm Tractor
- Manufacturer: John Deere
- Type: Row-Crop tractor
- Built in: Waterloo, Iowa, USA
- Original Price: $46,316 (1982 Quad-Range ROPS 2WD), $53,123 (1982 Power Shift Cab 2WD)
- Engine Model: John Deere 7.6L 6-cyl diesel
- Engine details
- Types: 16-speed partial power shift, 8-speed full power shift
- Transmission details
- PTO (claimed): 155 hp (115.6 kW)
- Drawbar (tested): 132.44 hp (98.8 kW)
- PTO (tested): 156.30 hp (116.6 kW)
- Drive: 4×2 2WD, 4×4 HFWD 4WD
- Differential Lock: Pedal-actuated hydraulic
- Steering: Hydrostatic power
- Brakes: Differential hydraulic wet disc brakes
- Cab: Sound-Gard cab standard
- Fuel: 83 gal (314.2 L)
- Hydraulic System: 16.5 gal (62.5 L)
- Type: Closed center
- Capacity: 16.5 gal (62.5 L)
- Valves: 2 or 3
- Pump Flow: 23 gpm (87.1 lpm)
- Rear Type: III/IIIN
- Rear Lift: 7328 lbs (3323 kg)
Power Take-off (PTO)
- Rear PTO: Independent
- Rear PTO Type: 1000 (1.75)
Dimensions & Tires
- Wheelbase: 118.5 inches (300 cm)
- Weight: 14350 to 15700 pounds
- Front Tire: 11.00-16
- Rear Tire: 18.4-38
- Front-end loader
- 1978: 1000
- 1979: 7422
- 1980: 13860
- 1981: 19459
- 1982: 25729
- Ground: Negative
- Charging System: Alternator
- Batteries: 2
- Battery Volts: 6
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the engine power of the John Deere 4640?
The John Deere 4640 has a claimed PTO power of 155 hp and a tested PTO power of 156.30 hp.
What types of transmission does it offer?
It offers a 16-speed partial power shift and an 8-speed full power shift.
What is the fuel capacity?
The fuel capacity is 83 gallons.
What is the hydraulic system capacity?
The hydraulic system has a capacity of 16.5 gallons.
What is the weight of the tractor?
The weight ranges from 14350 to 15700 pounds.
A Workhorse in the Field: John Deere 4640
A Classic from John Deere
The John Deere 4640 is a row-crop tractor manufactured by John Deere, a name synonymous with quality and durability in the farming industry. Built in Waterloo, Iowa, USA, this tractor was part of the Iron Horses Series produced between 1978 and 1982.
The Heart of the Machine
The tractor is powered by a John Deere 7.6L 6-cylinder diesel engine, offering a claimed PTO power of 155 hp and a tested PTO power of 156.30 hp. The transmission options include a 16-speed partial power shift and an 8-speed full power shift, providing versatility for various farming tasks.
Built for Performance
The John Deere 4640 is designed for high performance, offering a tested drawbar horsepower of 132.44 hp. The tractor comes with options for 4×2 2WD and 4×4 HFWD 4WD, ensuring it can handle different terrains with ease.
Feature-Rich and Comfortable
The tractor comes standard with a Sound-Gard cab, hydrostatic power steering, and pedal-actuated hydraulic differential lock, making it comfortable and easy to operate.
A Reliable Partner
Known for its durability and reliability, the John Deere 4640 has a sturdy build quality. The hydraulic system is of the closed-center type, and the tractor comes with differential hydraulic wet disc brakes for added safety.
Worth Every Penny
With an original price ranging from $46,316 to $53,123 (depending on the configuration), the tractor offers good value for money when compared to other models in the market offering similar features and performance.
Pros and Cons
- Pros: High engine power, multiple transmission options, comfortable cab, reliable performance.
- Cons: May be considered expensive, weight could be an issue for some tasks.
Ideal for Versatile Farming Needs
The tractor is best suited for row-crop farming but is versatile enough to handle other types of farming and tasks as well. Its high lift capacity and power make it ideal for heavy-duty work.
The Final Word
The John Deere 4640 is a reliable, high-performance tractor that offers a range of features designed for comfort and efficiency. Its high engine power and multiple transmission options make it a versatile choice for any farming operation. Overall, it’s a solid investment for those looking to get a durable and powerful tractor.